26 Nov A Williams Family Favourite
So tonight I had a breakthrough, and this post is for me as much as it is for you… You see I’m writing this recipe down quickly before I forget it!!
Do you ever do that? Crack a meal, finally you did it and it’s the best you’ve ever had and then the next time you go to do the same dish you forgot what you did last time and it never tastes the same again!! So frustrating right!?
The ultimate favourite in our house is Spaghetti Bolognese but all the years I’ve been cooking it I just never seemed to get it spot on. Dont get me wrong, all of my past spag bols have been lovely and we all thoroughly enjoy it but it’s like something was missing…. Anyway before I forget I’d better jot this down!!
A splodge of olive oil
1 large onion (chopped)
2 sticks of celery (chopped small)
1 small carrot (grated)
2 cloves of garlic
100mls red wine 🍷
2-3 white mushrooms (we chop them small as no one really likes mushroom here)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
200mls (ish) of beef stock using one cube
A big squirt of tomato purée
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
salt & pepper
A sprinkle of dried basil
1. Heat the oil and pop the onions, celery and carrot in and cook for a few minutes before adding the garlic. Cook gently whilst stirring until they become soft.
2. Throw in the mince and cook until brown.
3. Pour in the wine (100mls into the pan and about the same again into a wine glass…cheers!) and let it cook until the wine (in the pan) has reduced a bit.
4. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, purée, stock and herb seasoning and then reduce the heat and leave to bubble away gently for at least 30 minutes. I tend to let it bubble for a couple of hours and find the longer the tastier.
5. Take the lid off and allow a few minutes for the bolognese to thicken if needed. Pop as much Spaghetti as you need in a pan of boiling water and cook until ready.
6. Sprinkle with a good helping of cheese (we use cheddar).
And there you have it! Simple, easy and absolutely delicious!!